Friday 27 March 2015

Pike fishing in Ireland...the story of my last trip here with Fermanagh/Monaghan Boarder Fishing Guide

16lb pike on 28g Illex Element Rider lure rod

So yess this was it, my last trip done before I will move away to the Channel Islands for a while. And  decided to book a trip with http://www.borderfishing.com , chasing big pike on big waters. I mostly does my fishing in lakes and have pretty awesome results at the past so I was like my last trip has to be big. I had one of my best experience on the water for 2 days, learned a huge amount of how this style of fishing needs to be done. However good gear I take with me it wasn't really enough for the really big girls, I lost an absolute monster because of that, but its proofed that my lures is slay fish big time but need the big boy versions of them for this job. We had not really the best weather conditions, 30 mile/hr wind and rain showers non stop, but I put my in it and fished really hard to catch some beauties. My guide Gerard Smith does an absolutely awesome job, he did everything what was possible to get me fish in this bad weather conditions, and yes I had my fish. And I also set a record up on the boat straight after a few cast, I landed the smallest pike ever it was around 20cm and my lure was 15cm, well I wrote a history just from the other end of the game :)


Big or small, we love them all as they said, well that little micro jack was actually super cute. This place is just absolutely magical and breath taking. My accommodation sits in the heart of the country side, traditional Irish beautiful farmhouse run as a family business nearly 40 years. I booked together when I booked my trip with the guide. When I arrived I was too exited to put my bag up to my room , my blood was boiling to get out on the water so jumped in the car and ready to rock, but a lovely lady runs to the car and introduce herself and ask me that what I would like for dinner, I was delighted, what else could you wish for after 12 hrs on the water than a home made meal when you arrive! When we arrived back after the first day I had a warm shower to heat up and dinner was ready, the lady explained that they have a separate dinning room for guests but she made the table in the kitchen because I was  alone and not nice to eat alone, so she take me to the kitchen and it was really lovely and friendly atmosphere and I had my dinner with my guide, sharing good stories and had a laugh and my 3 course meal was delicious traditional Irish dinner, I tell you now that lady really knows how to cook ;)


The pike fishing in Ireland is more like a feeling, I would say if you are a really serious pike angler you must do this trip in your life. The fishing is simply will blow your mind away there, could catch them in any size and if you are in good hands you could hit your fish of the life time easily. And the place is just magnificent, when you get up on the morning look out on the window and the whole country side wakening front of your eyes, dress up quickly and the hot full Irish breakfast ready waiting for you on the table, hit the road arrive to the water get on the boat and the sun comes up while you raping the waves to get to the destination is just pure priceless and if you didnt find that a miracle  just dont go fishing any more because this is what is  all about. Old  enchant churches in pieces and some of them renovated and kept the way it was hundreds of years ago, castle towers visible from the forests and the huge rain clouds front of you gives a dark angry shades for all and when is the sun comes up everything sit around you in peace the way they sits for long long time........
And you knows that in the deep under your boat could lurking the same old angry green irish monster waiting to take a lure or the bait , every pike there what I caught between 2 days it was an awesome memory even the smallest witch sets the new "boat record", a great laugh what we have about, the swearing words when I lost my big one and when the stormy rain hits us. Well this is all about and i couldn't wish better company and host to do my last pike fishing here for a while. I definitely will be back and thank you for the awesome memories for Gerard Smith I really enjoyed my trip, first class!
Sad but happy.
Well tight lines and keep tuned for my new salt water sessions :)
And some more pics bellow ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment